Last updated March 3rd, 2021
As we reopen RCFC for lessons and classes according to Washington’s Safe Start policy, we have put in place a number of measures to minimize the risk of exposure for students, parents, and coaches. This list is a work in progress, and is based on specific requirements and recommendations from local, state, and federal agencies. We will continue to update it as ideas come out of further discussions among the coaches, and any further recommendations from state and local governments are released. We will also continually evaluate these protocols for feasibility and effectiveness, and adjust them as necessary.
Note that while we will attempt to minimize risks as much as possible, there is no way that risk can be completely eliminated. Members of high-risk populations should still stay home until they are vaccinated. All students will be required to sign a waiver agreeing to our COVID-19 mitigation policies.
The following list includes all policies which all students and visitors must adhere to. For a complete list of other measures including ones to protect our staff and coaches, click here.
Surfaces and Objects
- We strongly recommend that customers pay their bills online through our membership system. In person, our credit card terminal supports contactless payments such as tap-and-go and Apple Pay. When paying in person with a credit card, signatures are not required.
- Lockers, changing areas, and showers will be closed until state guidelines allow them to be reopened. Only restroom use and hand washing will be permitted in those areas.
- Because changing areas are closed, fencers should come to the club dressed in athletic wear appropriate for under a fencing uniform.
- Street shoes will not be permitted on the fencing floor. Please bring your athletic shoes with you and put them on in the lobby.
- All students should bring water bottles with them. Please put your name on your water bottle! At our water fountains, there will be no drinking by mouth, only filling water bottles.
- Once open fencing reopens, scoring machines should be turned on and off with the tip of the weapon if possible. For now, remote controls should not be used.
- Only one person is allowed in the weight room at a time. Sessions may be reserved through our online calendar. All equipment must be sanitized before and after use, using the sanitizing spray provided.
- There will be no shared tools available in the guest armory. Please bring your own tools to work on your equipment.
- Props for games (balls, pool noodles, etc.) are sanitized after each use. We are avoiding games that involve touching shared objects.
- All staff, fencers, and visitors should maintain minimum 6-foot distancing at all times.
- A maximum of 2 people will be allowed in each main restroom at a time.
- Students should check in at the front desk, and wait upstairs or outside for their class or lesson.
- If possible, parents and other non-fencers should wait in their vehicle or leave after checking in their child and come back at the end of class. Otherwise, parents should wait upstairs. If possible, only one non-fencer should accompany a minor fencer into the club.
- When going upstairs, use the front stairs. Come back down via the back stairs.
- Enter through the front doors only. When possible, exit through the double doors between the two gyms.
- We have set up our new furniture in the lobby and on the mezzanine with appropriate distancing. No more than 5 people should gather in any one common area, including during summer camp snack times.
- When students are lined up for warmup and footwork exercises, one fencer per strip instead of two.
- After saluting: no handshakes, high-fives, or elbow bumps.
Hygiene and Screening
- Cloth or surgical masks are required for everyone while in the building. This includes underneath the fencing mask.
- All standard CDC recommendations (hand washing, control coughs and sneezes, stay home if any symptoms, etc.) are in place.
- Fencers and parents should self-monitor symptoms and check their temperature before they leave home. We will conduct a no-contact temperature check of everyone who enters the club. Anyone with any COVID-like symptoms or a temperature over 100 will not be allowed in the club.
- Parents should check their child in at the front desk.
- Students should wash their hands on arrival. We have installed no-contact faucets and soap dispensers in the restrooms.
- Students should come for class a few minutes earlier than usual to avoid backups in the restrooms.
- To minimize exposure time, please do not arrive more than 15 minutes early for your class or lesson, unless you’re accompanying a family member who has an earlier class or lesson.
- Except for summer camp snack times, please do not bring food to the club, to reduce hygiene risks and the time required to clean up between classes.
- Fencers who have their own gear should bring it, use it, take it home every day, and wash/disinfect it after each use.
- Fencers who have their own gear are not allowed to borrow any club gear. The club gear will be locked down during competitive classes and open fencing.
- Group class fees include use of club equipment. All equipment is identified and placed in separate bins for each student so no equipment is shared.
- We strongly recommend that students purchase their own gear, or at least their own glove and mask, after their first month of classes. We will do our best to maintain our retail inventory at appropriate levels.
- After 3 months of classes, if you choose to continue using club equipment, there will be a $15/month rental fee to help cover the cost of maintenance.