Announcements on the Continuing Fencers page
To help cover rising staff and facility costs, we will need to increase our prices for classes and lessons as of September 1st. This is our first price increase in two years. While we want fencing to remain affordable for everyone, we do need to cover our expenses, and we are confident that we are still price-competitive with the other clubs in Western Washington.
Our small group classes for intermediate and competitive fencers will remain at their current price. To allow the coach to provide more individual attention to each fencer, these classes will not exceed 8 students.
Group class prices per month:
- Small group class, 1x/week: $120
- Small group class, 2x/week: $240
- Beginning class: $160
- Regular continuing/intermediate class (up to 12 students): $190
For all students, we recommend purchasing your own equipment once you know you’re going to continue classes. We have beginner uniforms in stock, and there is a 15% discount when you buy 4 or more pieces of equipment. If you choose to keep using club equipment, after your third month of classes or lessons there will be a $15/month equipment rental fee to cover increased maintenance and sanitation costs.
In the past, we have offered an annual package with a 10% discount for fencers who pre-pay for an entire season of classes. For fencers who purchased an annual package at the start of the 2019-2020 season, we have extended those packages by two months. Ten-month packages will expire on August 31, 2020; 12-month packages will expire on October 31, 2020. These packages are eligible for small groups, online Zoom classes, and open fencing sessions.
Due to the continuing uncertainty in our schedule and what classes we’ll be able to offer from month to month, we are not offering annual packages for the 2020-2021 season. We are increasing the family discount on class memberships to $15 per family member. Regular and small group classes are eligible for the family discount.
As of September 1st, the following prices will apply to private lessons:
- One-time drop-in: $40
- 4-lesson card: $150 ($37.50 each)
- 8-lesson card: $280 ($35 each)
- 20-lesson package: $650 ($32.50 each)
Fencers currently taking private lessons may, in addition to their current lesson card as of August 31, purchase one renewal per family at the old price. Please contact email@example.com for assistance with that.
Online Zoom Classes
Our online classes will continue in the new season, with Conditioning/Footwork on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and Technique/Tactics on Tuesday and Thursday. Starting in September, there will be separate memberships ($75/month each) for these two classes. Individual sessions of any online class may still be purchased for $15 each.
While our open fencing schedule remains tentative, sessions will be on a $5 drop-in basis. Once the schedule firms up, we will look at reinstating a month open fencing membership.
Updated September 29, 2020
The following rules apply to all open fencing sessions at RCFC during Phase 2 and Phase 3. We will update these rules as more guidance updates from state and county governments become available.
- A maximum of 6 fencers per session are allowed. A coach will always be in the same room (possibly giving a lesson) while open fencing is going on.
- Reservations through the online calendar are required, so that the maximum attendance can be enforced. Sessions are divided by weapon, age, and skill level.
- Fencers who are enrolled in classes or who have an annual package membership from last season are eligible for open fencing at no additional charge. Please remember to select your membership when making your reservation. You may reserve up to 6 “prime-time” sessions (Tuesday/Thursday) and up to 6 “off-peak” sessions (other days) each month.
- For fencers without a current class membership, there is a $5 drop-in fee per session. Contact us to reserve drop-in dates.
- Fencers should follow the same check-in process used for classes and lessons:
- Check in at the front desk.
- Temperature check and COVID-19 symptom screening.
- Wash or sanitize hands before going on the floor.
- Note that locker rooms remain closed. Please come dressed in appropriate athletic wear, including long pants. If you practice in fencing pants (which is recommended), either come to RCFC in your fencing pants, or wearing something you can wear fencing pants over.
- Minimize contact with shared items. Turn machines on and off with the tip of your weapon. No remote controls are to be used.
- Wash or sanitize your hands after handling reel cables, after every bout.
- Six fencers means up to three pairs fencing with one fencer on deck. Pairs should leave one empty strip in between, to increase distancing.
- When you unhook, leave your cable end hanging free – do NOT hang it on the wall or clip it to itself. Cable ends hanging free are the ones we know we need to disinfect at the end of the day.
- Fencers should remain in “practice mode” as much as possible – control actions, control distance, avoid corps-a-corps and infighting.
- Please do not reserve for more than one session per day, to allow other fencers access as well.
- If demand increases, we will look for additional times for open fencing sessions.
Starting soon, we will be able to make important announcements such as lesson cancellations and weather closures via text message. All you need to do is make sure your mobile number is entered into your profile in Zen Planner.
For lesson cancellations, we will send the message to the student’s mobile number. (The system doesn’t provide a way to send the message to multiple numbers for one person.) If you are the parent of a student and would like to receive these notifications, make sure you put your own mobile number in the student’s profile. If the student has a mobile number as well, you can put that in one of the other phone number fields.
We will only use text messages for important, time-sensitive notifications. Announcements of tournament schedules, upcoming events, and other activities will continue to go out in email. We will also announce lesson cancellations and closures through email.
If you do not want to receive text message alerts, just move your phone number from the Mobile Number field to one of the other phone number fields.
To set up your profile information, log in to our membership portal at https://raincityfencing.sites.zenplanner.com. Select My Profile from the menu on the left, then Edit Profile at the bottom of the list in the middle. To access other family members, select My Family from the list in the middle and follow the same steps.
Feel free to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Time to gear up for the new season! Our fall classes start September 3rd. Check out our class schedule and sign up online!
Summer Camps – July 8 through August 30
We still have room in our summer camps! Continuing camps are appropriate for students who have had 1-6 months of classes or a beginning camp. The Intermediate/Competitive camp is for fencers with a year or more of experience. Beginning camps are for kids and juniors with no previous experience – tell your friends how much fun fencing is!
Summer Continuing Classes – July 8 through August 28
For Continuing level fencers who can’t come to a summer camp, we are offering sessions of our Continuing classes on Mondays and Wednesdays in the afternoon and evening. Kids meet at 4:30, juniors at 5:30, adults at 6:30. The class fee includes Tuesday/Thursday open fencing for the month.
Last day of classes – June 21
The last day of regular classes for the season will be Friday, June 21st. We will have open fencing the last week in June, then we’re closed for a week for Summer Nationals.
Pre-Nationals Camp – June 24-27
This camp is designed for all fencers who are going to Nationals, all ages and all weapons. There will be warmup, footwork, some technical and tactical drills, and bouting and lesson time. We will work from 5:00 to 8:00 PM each day.
The fee for the camp is $120 per fencer. This will include at least one lesson for each fencer during camp time. If you plan to attend the camp, please pre-register on FRED so we have a rough idea of how many people are coming.
Summer Open Fencing
From July 9th through August 29th, we will have open fencing Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6:30 to 9:00 PM. Open fencing is $90 per month, free for students enrolled in a camp. For summer private lessons, talk to your coach about schedules.
Monday, August 15 through Friday, August 19, 2016
Gear up for the new season with an intensive all-day competitive camp! Nationally recognized coaches Greg Jones, Christian Ford, Garik Balayan, Steve Colton, and Spencer Felt share their expertise training national medalists. We will combine footwork and cross training, technical and tactical exercises, discussions of strategy and tournament preparation, and structured bouting and lesson time. Emphasis will be on the tactics and preparation needed for success at the national level.
Camp runs from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM each day with a lunch break. Students should have at least one year of competitive fencing experience. Please bring your own gear if possible. Minimum age is 11.
The fee for the camp is $450 for the week, which includes open fencing all summer (July and August) at no extra charge.
Go Team RCFC!